Monday, July 4, 2011

Confessions of an Expatriate on the Fourth of July

Fireworks at the Eiffel Tower © Irene
Here's a guestblog I did for Girl's Guide to Paris, cross posting a bit here but there's a lot more including some ideas to celebrate Bastille Day in Paris -- click here to read the rest!

I have to admit it to you all, these last five years have drastically affected my celebrations of the Fourth of July and Bastille Day in Paris. Who’d have imagined that I, lover of all things that explode, would one day not observe the Fourth of July, only to have it replaced by the French independence day? How blasphemous is that for a true-blue American in Paris?

Back in the day I was one of those flag-headband-wearing morons, whooping and hollering, oohing and aahing during the national holiday, and how I long to be that idiotic again. But alas, nary a flag headband is to be found on this side of the pond, or if they exist, they’re well hidden from the likes of me! It was just so lonely waving my little American flag around the office that I gave up on the Fourth of July altogether, and I really tried not to think about what I was missing.

But this year I plan to change all that. I will still have to forgo the fireworks on the Fourth itself, and do without the ridiculous head attire, but by God I shall celebrate no less enthusiastically than my compatriots back home!

No more shall I be an “ex-patriot” expatriate! Why this change of heart, you ask? I suppose I owe it to my American friends here. They’ve inspired me to enjoy the day, since I’m pretty sure I won’t be the only one longing to go to a park and crack open a beer.

It’s the heart (and hops) that counts, not the headwear, right? To me, the very best way to enjoy any holiday is with family and friends. Since the fam won’t be joining, I think we’ll all have to drink their share of Miller and eat their portion of fried chicken and watermelon. Patriotism demands sacrifice. I never said this would be easy.

2 comments:

  1. The Bastille Day fireworks in Paris are amazing so it's well worth celebrating, even if you're not French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear.
    I landed on your blog and just love the way it looks. The header image is spectacular. Its inspiring for new bloggers.
    Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails